Thursday, April 3, 2014

Kelly's Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies


It's interesting to think about the odd things one remembers from the various homes lived in growing up. We didn't move a lot, per se, but we did live in several houses and thinking back to what I do remember, some of it is just strange. What sticks in your memory, you know?

King Road was the first house I have a memory of. Nothing about the inside of the house but outside I remember our dog got all tangled up in a pile of scrap barbed wire out behind the barn and my uncle cutting him free...poor little dog succumbed to his injuries anyway. On another occasion little Rina decided to head off down that long gravel driveway thinking she'd get the mail and suddenly Mom in that bronzey beigey beast of a car roaring up behind, dust billowing all around and her panicked face. Good gracious.

Then there was the house on the street with the fancy name. I remember vividly watching hockey with my Dad, me eating a banana and him combing out my hair wet from the bath. One of my favorite memories. There was a bridal shower where balloons filled with confetti were popped all over that brown chair in the living room. The backyard where I first learned to ride a bicycle and my Mom suntanning while making garage sale signs with a big black marker.

Oh, the house on the hill. I loved that house because of the big piece of country property it was on - treed and perched just on the side of the hill with a view like nothing else. The forts we built and the fun we had riding our bicycles...Dad building bonfires (because that's how country folk got rid of garbage don't you know) and tossing the odd fuse or lightbulb into the flames just for fun. Finding pieces of broken pottery in the dirt as my Dad landscaped; my littlest brother falling out of the pool and how frightening it was as Mom took him to the hospital because he kept dozing off. Mom hiding pieces of Trident gum in the plants so my birthday party guests could have a scavenger hunt. The cast iron woodstove and how another brother burnt his entire hand on it - the blister, oh my goodness the blister. My sister and I finding our new birthday bicycles in the storage shop under the patio.

Finally, the house where we lived the longest, and where I moved out on my own from. Far too many memories to list, in that house. I will however mention Kelly, our neighbor.

Her Mom passed along a recipe for double chocolate chip cookies to my Mom many many years ago and as a kid, I never really liked them. But boy oh boy do I ever like them now. They're rich and chewy and chocolately and really? There isn't one single reason I can think of for us both not to make them right now.

Kelly's Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies
Makes 4 dozen large cookies

1 1/4 cups butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Blend well. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop by spoonful onto parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 8-9 minutes, do not overbake!!

The cookies will puff up while baking but flatten while cooling.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...